Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Crashes all around...


I saw a wreck today. I was sitting at a stop light in the middle of traffic and watched a car travelling toward me think about darting through a yellow light. The car behind him, I think, really wanted him to go so she could go too. She probably had somewhere really important to be, you know...a pedicure, tanning, Target...big, important stuff. Her problem came when the first car changed his mind and stopped, she stopped too...after slamming into his bumper. As the light changed again and I drove by the accident I noticed a few things: (1) Both drivers were very frustrated and seemed to be blaming each other. (2) The woman had also been applying makeup, she had a streak of red lipstick from her lip to nostril. (3) EVERYONE wanted to slow down and soak up every little detail they could. Like Will Ferrell says, they were "curious like a cat."


I can't seem to get that last thing out of my head...or my heart. What is it about a wreck that makes us all want to stop and stare...not help, just stare. Maybe we're all thinking, "I'm glad that's not me," or "Too bad for that guy." Whatever the reason, we all do it (you know you do). The problem for me is that it doesn't matter the wreck, it can be a car wreck, a plane wreck on the news or a human being that is the wreck...we love to watch! Why do you think reality tv is so popular? We all want to see a real life melt down! Eventually, we all just sit staring...cold and numb. We stand watching disaster in the midst of wreckage. Often with no trace of feeling.
I think too often I'm the wreck...usually just on the inside.

I understand what's its like to feel indifferent to the person I've become where traits like self-promotion, dishonesty and displacement rule while perseverance, trust and forgiveness are rare. I understand what it's like to feel unresponsive to my friends, my family, my God and myself. I know what it's like for emotions and response to feel as though they've been muted. I also know that prayer, true accountability and openness are the beginning stages of change. Change doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen when we trust God, persevere in the faith and forgive those who have injured us.


The real problem with wrecks is that we injure others, we leave others to clean up the mess, we get exposed. Lets commit to NOT being the wrecks. Let's trust and persever and forgive. Let's also commit to helping those involved in wrecks, avoid the numbness...avoid the curious stares. We can help clean up the mess together.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Rudy!!! Talk soon. and need to meet Joanna sooner.
    Shayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff. I am proud of you for putting your thoughts down. I wanted to call but lost your number. Artie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said... Uncle Doug

    ReplyDelete